Case Study | Online Marketplace Black Friday
For an online marketplace Black Friday brings a critical need to protecting their brand and partners – this was vital for our client NotOnTheHighStreet ahead of their 2020 peak trading period.
Could they live up to their own high standards, even with COVID-19, lockdowns, and peak surges? In short, yes.
Spike performance insights built confidence in their systems ahead of peak trading, smash their targets and ensure they were ready for future sales surges.
Lockdowns Brought Unique Challenges
COVID-19 gave our client a real challenge – could their business model cope with the surge and adapt to the growing ‘Gifting-as-a-Service’ market?
The Risk of Failure Was Too Big to Ignore
- Downtime would cost £250k per hour
- Failure would shred their hard-earned reputation
- Sustained outages would cripple their 5000 partners
WHAT WERE SPIKE ASKED?
- Establish an accurate workload model
- Create reusable performance testing assets
- Identify any performance issues and highlight areas of concern
- Provide confidence for their peak sales period
The Spike Performance Methodology – Rapid and Rock-Solid
Phase 1 – Analysis and Planning
Spike collaborated with our client to define a test approach and understand current and surge volumes.
Phase 2 – Iterative Execution Cycles
Spike developed a world-class performance framework using Open-Source tools.
Phase 3 – Empowerment and Asset Handover
Spike provided performance testing assets including:
- Workload models
- A robust, reusable, and easy-to-use performance testing framework
- Additional methods and techniques to ramp-up load
Conclusion: Confidence gained for 2020 and beyond!
With the help of Spike, our client were able to prove volumes over 200% of 2019 peak. They also gained a much better understanding of their infrastructure. The short performance project achieved all their goals and more:
- Established workload models for predicted peak and future stretch targets
- Identified performance issues and fixes ahead of Black Friday 2020
- Provided a reusable and cost-effective performance framework
- Drove confidence in their ability to deliver exceptional service during their peak periods
- Empowered their technical team to carry out future performance cycles independently
Download as a PDF
No contact details needed, click below to download a copy of our case study with our compliments. Please consider the environment and read online or print responsibly.